Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Deuteronomy


I have wanted to study Deuteronomy ever since my boss in Colorado had me study it as a bible study. I have always wanted to reread it, pick it a part and glean as much as I can from it. Reading Thomas Jefferson education has inspired me to not only see the bible as a classic which there is much to glean and learn from. But to be faithful to be mentored by the one true mentor, my creator, the one who literally knows it all! Deut. 8:3; "He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord."

If we live by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord and if the Lord speaks to us and teaches us from his word, then if I am not talking with him, reading his word everyday I can be nothing but dead.

With that said here's what I gleaned today from Deuteronomy 10:
vs.1 What does the Lord require of me? To fear the Lord my God, to walk in all His ways, and love Him, and to serve the Lord my God with all my heart and with all my soul. To keep the Lord's commandments and His statues which he commands me, for my good.

I learned of his Character:
vs. 17 He is the God of gods, the Lord of Lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, he does not show partiality, nor takes bribes. He executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and shows His love for the alien by giving him food and clothing.

vs. 18 He reminds us to show our love for the aliens for we were also aliens at one time.

We are to:
vs.20 Fear the Lord our God, serve Him and cling to Him, and swear by his name.

Because he is:
vs. 21 Our praise, our God, who has done great and awesome things for us! Which indeed I have seen with my eyes!

Application to my life: God tells me to do things not to hear himself talk but because it's for my own good (vs. 13). He loves me enough to tell me what to do, where to go, and how to go about it. He is my one true God, he is Lord of it all, I am to not put anything in his place. I am to serve orphans and widows. I am to not only fear the Lord, serve him, but I am to CLING to him! not simply hold on during the ride, I am to cling to him as if being rescued from the dangers out there. If I am not clinging to him I am vulnerable and an easy target. I am to remember what I have seen the Lord do in my life and not forget them.

I'm excited to see what tomorrows chapter holds!

1 comment:

  1. Goosebumps. The Bible is THE classic book of all times. It is the only book that is 100% truth. The rest just need to be gleaned from and have the untruths discarded. :) It's so exciting to really study scripture and have it come alive. I'm loving reading what you're writing and feeling a part of your journey. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete