Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

Cooking and Baking isn't a chore

God has given me a love for cooking and baking, it's something I learned to do by watching my mom and by working beside her. It's something that was fun to do on cold blizzarding days in Colorado when you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. I love making things from scratch and the more cooking I do the more I learn that the more fresh things are ginger, garlic, herbs, spices the tastier and better the meal. The flavors are succulent, the broths are nutrious, and it's all around good for everyone.

Mark has been dealing with walking pnemonia and strep throat, as well as having the stress of working, going to school, and caring for a family. I am learning the value of broths. Broths are directly absorbed by the body and does not have to go through the process that solid food does. So the nutrients and good for you stuff in the broth does a world of healing! Mark has stomach trouble as well and I'm hoping the broths will aid in his all around health.

I made homemade sauerkraut and Mark and I both like it so far. I was raised on canned veggies, pickles, olives, cabbage, and such. Mark was also but he is not a fan of sour food. But he does like sauerkraut. Fermented veggies and food is suppose to help digestion and allow the food we eat to draw out the nutrients and digest food easier and better. I'm hoping to make a fermented salsa,  which is really just salsa. I'm hoping to create enough fermented food that we can have verity and still get our digestion in order.

I'll be posting or trying to post my successes as well as my not so great cooking, baking, and fermenting journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment